Match Reports, 12th of December

Wednesday, 16th of December 2015
Posted by Louie Sadler, Sean O'Kelly and Alex Cooper
Match Reports, 12th of December Match Reports, 12th of December


Mens 2nd Team

v. Sheffield University Bankers 4, written by Louie Sadler

Won 4 – 2

Following a less than average performance at Hull University last week the Mens 2nd Team were looking to bounce back strong in a crunch match againsed a useful Sheffield Bankers side.

We went on to the pitch deeply inspired by Knowlsey’s words of wisdom which were “we play in yellow, we pass to yellow and we don’t tackle yellow.” We didn’t start well going down 1-0 from a scrappy short corner. Then Chunky missed a load of sitters (which rightfully earned him the minion suit). Harry Middleton kept a cool head at the back post, tucking one away to make it 1-1. Chunky continued to miss the target and then Glynn popped up to put us in the lead. We went into half time with a lead of 3-1 with a nice finish by jimmy.

Bankers came back into the second half scoring an early goal to make it 3-2. Then Fez put the game to bed to make it 4-2.

MOM: Sads Jr


Mens 3rd Team

v. Normanby Park 1, written by Sean O’Kelly

Lost 4-1 (James Coffey)

Lindum 3s made the short trip up to Winterton hoping to reverse the fortunes of the team to mount a climb up the league table against a mid-table and newly promoted Normanby Park side, who’d won the previous fixture in the season 4-3 at the Lindum.

Lindum started brightly, moving the ball quickly around the pitch and creating early chances for the forwards of Kristian Nelson and Shane Barr. Barr almost connected with a reverse to the left hand side of the circle, but ended up nearly smashing the Normanby defender. The first real open chance fell to Sean O’Kelly, who shot wide with a tomahawk when he really should have scored. Lindum then took the lead around 10 minutes in, where a great counter-attacking move, involving Jack Rounsley sliding a ball through to O’Kelly, who one on one with the goalkeeper proceeded to slip the ball to the right for the incoming James Coffey to slap into the empty net. This lead was shortlived and, following some scrappy play around the top of the circle, a Normanby forward crashed the ball into the goal past keeper Jake Sales. Chances were created at both ends, but Normanby Park found themselves ahead going into half time, as a left slip short found its way to a forward who picked his spot and pushed the ball into the far corner. Lindum felt hard done by, as they had been on top for all of the first half.

The second half became stretched, as Lindum sought an equaliser whilst Normanby were pushing to increase their lead. It was Normanby who caught a break, with a counter attack to play the ball around the impressive Sales into the net. Lindum kept on pushing but could not find a goal, even as the umpire decided to allow a straight strike on a penalty corner that was rifled high into the net by Rounsley. A few penalty corners were conceded, with Normanby scoring their fourth and final goal, to take the win.

Overall, an average performance, however a good first half which provided optimism going into the game on Sunday against Lindum 2s. Dave Griffin was solid as usual from the back, Tom Brumby managed to “injure” himself but still put in a good performance, and the forwards of Coffey and Barr also worked well.

MOM: Griff – brilliant defensive work
DOD: Coffey


Mens 2nd Team v. Mens 3rd Team

Written by Sean O’Kelly

(Sean O’Kelly 3, Tom Brumby) 4 – 6 (Dave Knowles, Chris Hearn 2, Glyn Fowler, James Hillsmith, Louie Sadler) to Lindum 2

Lindum 3 v Lindum 2, by Sean O’Kelly

(Sean O’Kelly 3, Tom Brumby) 4-6 (Dave Knowles, Chris Hearn 2, Glyn Fowler, James Hillsmith, Louie Sadler)

Umpires: Greg Wines & Jon Bigham

Sunday produced a feisty affair in an inter club league game within Yorkshire Division 1 between Lindum 3s and Lindum 2s, with goals and cards (mostly for the 2s) aplenty. The 2s were hoping for another win to back up their good result on the Saturday, whilst the 3s were hoping to get one over on the 2s and also recover from a disappointing result on the previous day.

The game started at a high tempo, with both sides moving the ball well, and it was the 2s who took the lead with an unmarked Dave Knowles finding the backboard. The 2s then won a few penalty corners, one of which was finished by Chris Hearn, who rifled the ball through the legs of Jake Sales. Hearn found the net again with a smart volleyed finish in front of goal, following some good work on the left hand side of the pitch. The 3s also created several chances, and finally got the goal they deserved, when a drag flick from JT was saved by Sam Spencer before Sean O’Kelly flicked it into the net between the two post men of Ian Ferraby and Geoff Ngoe. Soon after, Ferraby managed to escape punishment for a push on Dave Roberts, before the 3’s captain Lee Thomas was shown a green card for a similar offence. Glyn Fowler managed to capitalise on some poor defending from the 3s, to finish with aplomb, making the score 4-1 going into half time.

The 3s came out strong in the second half and found themselves a second goal through O’Kelly who finished on the reverse into an empty net, following a strike from Tim Sargent via Spencer’s pads. O’Kelly then managed to miss a couple of chances at the back post over the course of the next five or ten minutes. Matt Powell saw yellow for an alleged push on Sargent, and Ferraby escaped a yellow for a deliberate foul on Sargent near the half way line. The 3s then found a 3rd goal to reduce the 2s lead to one, a shot from O’Kelly finding the foot of Powell on the goal line (although possibly sneaking just past the post). O’Kelly stepped up and fired high left into the roof of the goal for his hat-trick. Some say there may have been a double touch – all we know is that the umpires thought otherwise. The game became stretched as the 3s searched for an equaliser, leaving the defence exposed on several occasions. The 2s made the most of this, and after good work by Rob Seely on the left hand side of midfield, some wonderful interlinking play was produced for James Hillsmith to tap into the empty goal at the back post (he wasn’t far off missing though!) to re-establish a two goal lead. The 2s were once again reduced to 10 men, as Ferraby wiped out O’Kelly, who was through on goal, resulting in a penalty corner and a 10-minute yellow card. During this period the 3s pushed and pushed and found a goal to, once again, reduce the 2’s lead to one after some great work on the right from JT, a poor touch in the circle from Roberts fell to Tom Brumby, who smashed the ball into the bottom left corner (made even more impressive by the nosebleed he was suffering from for being so high up the pitch!). It capped off a remarkable performance from the big man, who’d also had Ferraby in his back pocket all game, beating him for pace and skill on numerous occasions. The 3s pushed even harder for an equaliser, only producing half chances, but it was the 2s who found another goal, and ultimately the decider, as Louie Sadler (back on the pitch following a green card for physically abusing JT) produced what can only be described as a wet push into the bottom corner.

It was the 2s who took the three points on this occasion, winning 6-4, however the 3s gave a fantastic account of themselves to keep pegging back the 2nd team’s lead, unfortunately falling away slightly towards the end. The discipline is something that the 2s (or Ferraby) may have to work on going into matches in the New Year, but it seems that goal scoring for both sides will not be a problem. Several players put in great performances, including Hearn, Ngoe, Fowler, Seely, and Knowles of the 2s, and O’Kelly, Sargent, Sales, JT, and of course the illustrious Brumby of the 3s.

Both sides meet again in January, where the 2s will be continuing to push towards promotion, whilst the 3s will be seeking revenge and another strong performance against the higher side.


Mens 4th Team

v. Sheffield University Bankers 5, written by Alex Cooper

Won 4 – 2

The 4th Team met Bankers for the second time this season on Saturday, having seen them away to the tune of 4-1 at their place back at the start of the season. This game was a different affair this time around, starting off at a different pace. Accusations began, even before the game did, about the team not yet being “switched on” and “on it” and … other phrases that mean you’re ready to play. This wasn’t helped by a delay in the arrival of Bankers’ umpire who, when he did arrive, held an uncanny resemblance to Clive Sadler.

With the game finally underway it was Bankers who appeared to have the slight edge. This was borne out by the first goal of the game when the ball unusually made it through the legs of keeper Stu Gutteridge. Alex Cooper managed what he calls a goal by putting the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net at the other end of the pitch but only after its journey made it through Bankers’ D unaided, untouched and unburdened by the promise of affecting the overall result of the game. A defensive error left a Bankers’ player with the opportunity to walk into the Lindum D and help himself to a goal, which he duly did and at half time the score stood at 2-0 to the visitors.

The five minutes of half time were just as dramatic. The message that the team were left with was that it’s alright to give Captain John “Grandad” Harrison a hard time off the pitch (in fact it was practically suggested that this be done) but, during the game, he is the captain and should be listened to. At this point in time listening to Grandad was ironically made all the more difficult as a representative from Lincoln University came across and started to demand money off him, for the pitch that we were stood on before we’d even finished using it!

The second half became a more positive game for Lindum and the team slowly started to build a bit of momentum. This started with a couple of near misses including a shot on goal from Kirky that made that most awful of “pinging” noises when you start to wonder whether you’re going to have one of those days when scoring just doesn’t happen. Thankfully the momentum continued and goals came were not in short supply courtesy of Kirky and an amazingly narrow shot from Angus that saw the sides level. Bankers altered their structure to try to regain the advantage but an assured performance from Andy Taylor and a couple of big hits from Ben Nicholson saw a further two goals notched up by Lincoln.

Rendering one of the two sets of goals on the pitch completely superfluous to requirements, the Mens 4s imitated the 2s a couple of hours earlier; coming back to beat a Bankers team 4-2.

Curves: Womens Only Gym
Most Read